Friday, March 10, 2006

Oooo, girl....



My rant for today is about a new, appallingly bad TV ad for Carmel Car Service. Please tell me you've all seen this one (if not, clearly you don't watch NY1 as much as I do). Allow me to set the scene:

SCENE: An outdoor cafe in Manhattan. Four attractive, early-30-something women are discussing in earnest tones what sounds like the perfect man, a sexual dynamo, who is apparently dating all four of them.

WOMAN #1: He comes when I call him.

WOMAN #2: He takes me out to dinner!

WOMAN #1 (seductively): He takes me to the theater...

WOMAN #4: I LOVE the theater!

WOMAN #3: He takes ME to the airport!

WOMAN #1 (excited): That's HUGE!

WOMAN #4 (even more seductively): Sometimes...he just takes me home at night.

WOMAN #2 (apparently aroused): Oooh, girl...

That's it. That's the ad. Now, I have more than a few problems with this, but here's the biggest one: I understand what they were going for. It sounds like they're all talking about a man who does romantic, sexy things, but, ha ha ha, they're actually talking about a limo driver. I get it. But the sequence is all screwed up. I think it would've worked better if the airport "gag" is the last one. So, the tension would've been building (...out to dinner...), and building (...to the theater...), and ready to explode (...home at night...), and then, finally, when we can take no more tension: "He takes ME to the airport!" BWWAMMMP BWAAAMMMM....(trombone music). But, no. The ad-wizards at Carmel put the airport gag smack dab in the middle, where it makes no sense. So, when you hear Woman #4 talking about being taken "home at night," you already KNOW she's talking about a limo driver, as opposed to some mysterious dinner-eating, theater-going super-stud who's gonna hump the fillings out of her teeth.

Discuss.

5 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Blogger SonnyD said...

Lay off the drugs, son.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

I LOVE the theater!

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger maybe i can help... said...

I will not comment on the content of the commercial. I will however trash the production values... and go on a side mini-rant about why they changed "Tel Aviv" to "Dial 7" car service. I mean, do you think people were really dialing Carmel... it's all sixes...it should be called "spawn of satan car service"! Tel Aviv wins by default! De-fault De-fault De-fault!

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger maybe i can help... said...

oh girrrl!

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Toasty Joe said...

I didn't even notice they changed the name of Tel Aviv. You sure it's not because they were worried about some anti-Zionist backlash?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home