Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Transistor Radios, Old Men, and other Mis-heard Lyrics


This should be a fun category, and not just because I'm bored off my ass waiting for my 1-week Colorado vacation to start. I was listening to the radio today, and Van Morrison's "Brown-Eyed Girl" came on. This is a song that has always amused me for the sole reason that the line "goin' down in the ol' mine with a transistor radio" sounds exactly - and I mean exactly - like "goin' down on the old man with a transistor radio." Now that I've shared that with you, I defy you to listen to that line and NOT hear about Van going down on the old man. It's impossible.

All of which brings to mind another top 5 category: Let's hear your favorite mis-heard song lyrics, i.e., lyrics you know he can't possibly be singing, but lyrics that your ears inevitably choose to hear.

6 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger Toasty Joe said...

I just remembered another one - There's a line in Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance" that goes "There's pigeons down on Market Square/She's standing in her
underwear/Looking down from a hotel room/And nightfall will be coming soon." When the song came out (around '93 or so) I always thought the last line sounded like "and Matt Bahr will be coming soon," Matt Bahr being the NY Giants placekicker at the time. Go listen to it again and tell me I'm not crazy. Go on.

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my my, oh hell yes it does sound like Matt Bahr.

Now, scuse me while I kiss this guy.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger maybe i can help... said...

It really annoys me when people other than myself don't know the words. Me, on the other hand, refuse to learn the actual words... mine are definitely better.

I also make up words to instrumental only music. Like I have this whole song that I used to sing to the theme from Magnum PI.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Totally unrelated, but my new camera hadn't come before I sent you your hat - can you get a photo of it for me? No hurry - whenever you get a chance. Thanks. Have a great time in Colorado.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger shoot the glass said...

CCR's 'Bad Moon Rising' has a line, which I think says "there's a bad moon on the rise." I seem to always hear, "there's a bathroom on the right."

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger The Schwizz said...

i am always partial to the line in bel biv devoe's poison that says "rob moore your dead", suuposedly because rob moore of former jets and syracuse WR fame apparently had messed around with ronnie bell's girlfriend i think

 

Post a Comment

<< Home