Monday, December 12, 2005

Chips & Other Musings


Yes, after a long long while, The Schwizz has returned. I was watching TV the other day and I heard that they were making "CHiPS" into a movie and Wilmer Valderamma is going to be cast as Frank Poncherella.

That led me to think why couldn't Danny and I be in this flick. I mean look at the two of us; drunk off Jaeger and ready to jump on our bikes and fight crime. That's safe.

In any event, I think everyone should be able to come up with a Top 3 of who should play the other dude, who no one ever seems to remember. I think that the dude who played one of the Duke boys could step into this role in a second.

I went to this bar in Breckenridge the other night called The Brown Hotel, and it could rank up there as one of my Top Bars ever. Not only did they have Pabst in bottle, yes bottle!, they had bar games galore. From Pinball to darts to foosball to billiards to ping pong to even air hockey. Next Sunday they are having Triple Crown III which is a competition of Billiards, Foosball, and Ping Pong. I mean who could ask for anything better.

That brings to my new and improved Top 5. We always talk about Sticks, Skins, and Wings, but what truly are the Top 5 bar foods. Well here are mine.

5. Skins - add a little sour cream and your golden
4. Cocktail Weiners - yes they are at Blondies and I want them
3. Tenders - I am a sucker for some could tenders with up to 5 dipping sauces
2. Sticks - There is something about getting a good stick and having the cheese stretch out the door of the bar
1. Wings - nuff said, dunzo - we could actually have a debate over best wings in the city next

Later from Breckenridge.

Schwizz

6 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Blogger Toasty Joe said...

Wow, look at the two scuzzballs in that picture. Quite a sight. My top 5 bar foods:

5. Skins. I support these, but don't really order them all that often. But any food that involves bacon and cheddar cheese is ok in my book.
4. Pretzels. Not enough bars put out free junk like pretzels - true, you risk eating something that's been sitting around exposed to the general public, but I'll take the chance for free junk.
3. Wings. But not all wings are created equal. For instance, the wings at Back Page are higher on my list than Blondie's. Gotta be careful they're not rubbery and cold - that's turn-off.
2. Popcorn shrimp. Highly underrated. Brother Jimmy's does these right, with a light dusting of either paprika or cayenne pepper (not sure).
1. Sticks. Can't beat 'em. You know you're a true sticks addict when you eat the grimy leaf of lettuce that's left over after all the sticks are gone.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger maybe i can help... said...

Free junk, Fletch. That's ALL. Just free junk

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger maybe i can help... said...

If you are doing location specific bar foods (Jimmy's popcorn shrimp), then you need to include the "Irish Nachos" from Croxleys. It's basically fries with melted mozzarella, bits of bacon, and scallions. Awesomely heart clogging

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger SonnyD said...

I guess we are going with apps, since I'm sure burgers would be atop everyone's list, so here we go:

5-Nachos, drenched in cheese, meat, and jalapenos
4-Popcorn shrimp w/spicy mayo-catsup mix
3-Fried Calamari (not sure this is bar food, but it's good)
2-Spinach/Artichoke Dip
1-No question - wings. Esp. at Down the Hatch

some other honorable mentions:

- jalapeno poppers with cheese (real cheese, not cream cheese)
- onion rings, although not often purchased, but always tasty
- complimentary popcorn with extra salt, or chex mix
- and of course, anything with the word "buffalo" in it

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Toasty Joe said...

Ketchup....catsup. Ketchup....catsup. I'm in way over my head here.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Toasty Joe said...

You know how I know you're gay? You put a vegetable-based food as #2 on your list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home