Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Be Gone, Grey's Anatomy!


I've tried to suppress it, I've tried to live with it, but there's no holding back any longer: I despise "Grey's Anatomy," and I don't care who knows it. Why is this show - which, unfortunately, the Flitgirl LOVES - so awful? Several factors are at play here:

(1) I Cannot Accept Any Show In Which Patrick Dempsey Is The Resident "Hunk." I mean, we're talking about Ronald Miller here, people. Not to mention the guy from "Loverboy." And people on the show are calling him "McDreamy"? Unacceptable.

(2) It Has An Irritating Faux-Sex-And-The-City Narration By An Equally Irritating Lead Actress. Another huge problem. One "Sex And the City" was bad enough. But now we have to endure an hour-long version with the same phony-"deep" moments of self-reflection by the star about the episode's events? "And just like that...life can surprise you." Hey at least Sarah Jessica's character had an excuse - she was supposed to be a writer. Who the hell is this dummy talking to? And by "this dummy," I mean the actress I once referred to as "the chick from 'Old School'," and who I now refer to as "that corpse-like annoying talentless chipmunk from 'Grey's Anatomy.'"

(3) It Has A Bland, Inoffensive, Adult-Contemporary VH1-Friendly Soundtrack. Every 30 seconds, the show breaks into some banal, adult-contempo song, which is bad enough - but the show makes you listen to the equally banal lyrics for minutes at a time, which I guess are supposed to have some deep meaning to the storyline. I finally figured out the meaning last night as the Flitgirl was watching an episode: We suck!

(4) It Telegraphs Each And Every Storyline So That A Retarded Person Could See Where It's Going. This one really kills me. Now, please note, many shows are guilty of telegraphing. Heck, even the Sopranos makes a practice about hinting at what's to come (see, e.g., Christopher and the middle-eastern guys last week). But there's a big difference between hinting and essentially holding up a big sign that says "THIS WOMAN IS AN UNGRATEFUL DAUGHTER WHO WILL LEARN HOW MUCH HER FATHER MEANS TO HER IN THE END," for example. Why watch the whole episode when you can realize what's gonna happen in the first five minutes?

Well, that just about sums it up. Unfortunately, I have many years of "Grey's Anatomy" in my future, considering how big a fan the Flitgirl is. However, I have hit upon a fine solution: Flee to the bedroom after the Sopranos, lock the door, and crank up ITunes. Thank god for one-bedroom apartments.

YJIT

11 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger The Schwizz said...

I think you secretly like Grey's since you wrote about it so much. Here are 5 shows that won't make you think as much.

5. South Beach on the WB
4. 8th and Ocean on MTV
3. The Gauntlet on MTV
2. Re-runs of North Shore
1. Deal or No Deal

If you don't ever want your brain to hurt again, give yourself a steady diet of this crap.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Toasty Joe said...

Thank you, but I should've noted that Grey's does have one saving grace: It's not a reality show.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger maybe i can help... said...

i caught Deal or No Deal for the first time last night. me actually feel dumber.

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, have been struggling with trying to comprehend the phenomenon that is Grey's Anatomy and the mythical hold this show has on the fairer sex. Did you know that this past Sunday, GA actually beat that other Weekly McChick Flick, Desperate Housewives in the ratings?? The show is a juggernaut that simply cannot and will not be stopped or contained. We will be stuck with the visages of the chick from Old School and Ronald Miller for years to come. "And I, for one, welcome our new, vapid overlords."

Fortunately for me, Mrs. Bookie enjoys her Grey's experience "in bed" so I can keep the more masculine progamming on the big TV, where it belongs.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

Believe it or not, I used to fight against this show, too. I thought Ellen Pompeo (aka Meredith Grey) was a squeaky voiced anorexic hag with Zelwegger-esque squinty eyes. I also thought the voice-overs were stupid and the plots were telegraphed. (I always liked the music and, I'm sorry, but Patrick Dempsey is ridiculously hot).

But this show will win. It will always win. I soon started to like it kind of ironically in spite of its badness. But now I just love it. It's so charming! And romantic! The characters are so quirky and well-developed yet conform to predictable types. Izzy and Alex! Burke and Christina! George!

It's like a big bowl of chicken soup and I will never let it go.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger The Schwizz said...

"its so charming and romantic" that is why this show will always belong on the 19 incher in the bedroom of married couples and not on the 52 inch plasma in the big room. that should be reserved for the likes of Hogan's Knows Best and Jack Bauer!!

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Toasty Joe said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Speaking as an (almost) doctor, I love this show because it is exactly like my life. Seriously. I can't tell you how many times I've had to do open heart surgery in an elevator stuck between floors. Thank God some writers finally realized what life is REALLY like in the hospital!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Speaking as an (almost) doctor, I love this show because it is exactly like my life. Seriously. I can't tell you how many times I've had to do open heart surgery in an elevator stuck between floors. Thank God some writers finally realized what life is REALLY like in the hospital!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Toasty Joe said...

Thank god you don't talk like Meredith Grey, or I would have to rescind your invitation to my wedding.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Kate Diamond said...

Okay, you may have a slight point. Meredith is a self-pitying nympho who keeps enticing McDreamy (that flip-flopper!) to commit adultery. And I don't care how much your daddy hurt your feelings... some behavior is unjustifiable.

But I, too, love the show. Three words: Burke, Christina, George.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home